EDEN HOUSE, ATLANTA GA
The 1500 square foot planted roof is visible from the street and second story rooms. One benefit of green roofs is having attractive flowers and foliage around the house.
Green roofs offer the following advantages compared with more common types of roofing:
· Additional insulation: the growth media reduces heating and cooling loads on the home.
· Extends the life of the roofing.
· Evaporative Cooling: Green roofs achieve a cooling effect as water evaporates during the summer months.
· Provides a habitat for animals and insects, especially important pollinators like bees, birds and butterflie
Water can be a significant household cost as well as a limited resource in times of drought and population growth. Eden House has a rainwater harvesting system that stores water from the roof for use in landscaping. All water from the upper roof is directed to the lower planted roof via a network of soaker hoses. A system of gutters, downspouts and rain barrels stores all other roof water for use on the site landscaping. Faucets and Showerheads have been confirmed to flow at less than 2 gallons per minute and all toilets are dual flush and carry the water sense label.
EDEN HOUSE GARAGE
When a vehicle enters the garage an exhaust fan is triggered pulling monoxide out.
EDEN HOUSE INTERIORS
Indoor Environmental Quality (EQ)
Many homeowners are beginning to realize a possible link between their health and their homes. Household pollutants can include carbon monoxide, radon, formaldehyde mold, dirt and dust. As described in AE Eden House is tightly sealed which helps keep contaminants out. Fresh air is brought in through a single duct and passes through a very efficient MERV 13 filter. (A MERV 16 filter would be suitable for a general surgery room, and a MERV 12 filter would be suitable for a “superior residential” application, according to ASHRAE). The house is under a slight positive pressure which helps push contaminants out. Beyond superior filtering, other credits earned in this category are:
· When a vehicle enters the garage an exhaust fan is triggered pulling monoxide out.
· A carbon monoxide detector is located on each floor of the house.
· Though no radon has been detected, because the area is a notoriously high radon potential, a pipe was installed from the gravel bed under the basement slab through the roof, which will allow any radon, if present, to escape.
· Very quiet bathroom fans will turn on when someone enters and run at a preset time and volume.
· During Construction covers were place over the air duct openings to keep the debris.
· Before occupancy a “flush” was performed. The fan ran continuously for 48 hours minimum time and the filter was replaced.
EDEN HOUSE SOLAR COLLECTOR
A solar collector, mounted to a pair of chimneys, sits canopy-like over south facing windows. The chimneys are capped by skylights which open electronically, letting hot air escape as part of the buildings passive ventilation system. Sunlight filters through the solar canopy and skylights to the interior stairway below.
Copyright © 2019 David Butler & Associates, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.